A regular Manhattan uses bourbon, but try this recipe with Irish whiskey instead. (For local flavor, try the artisan-crafted South Boston Irish Whiskey made by Grand Ten Distillery.)
- 2 oz Irish whiskey Grand Ten South Boston Irish preferred
- 2 oz Sweet Vermouth
- 1/2 oz Spiker's Sour Cherry Plum Shrub
- 2 dashes orange or citrus bitters be generous with the dashes
- 1 inch orange peel
- 4-5 ice cubes cracked, not crushed
- Place a stemmed martini or old fashioned cocktail glass in the freezer at least 30 minutes prior to serving.
- In a pint-size glass, combine whiskey, vermouth, shrub, and bitters. Fill with cracked ice cubes and stir for at least 50 rotations. Strain into the chilled glass. Twist or fold the orange peel several times over the glass to release the oils, then add the peel to the drink. Please, no maraschino cherries.