The Cosmopolitan (and variations thereof) has been around since the early 1900s, but the drink earned its star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame when Sex and the City ran on TV during the 1990s. It was Carrie Bradshaw’s drink.
I don’t know anything about Carrie Bradshaw. But I do know who Terry Bradshaw is. And I know that the Patriots are in a major football playoff game on Sunday, January 18. So as a tip of the hat to sports, mixology, and New England team spirit, we introduce the CosmoShrubitan … a lower-proof version of the original thanks to swapping Spiker’s Tuscan Tangerine Shrub for the traditional (and authentic) Cointreau. Instead of cranberry juice, a splash of Spiker’s Sour Cherry Plum Shrub does the trick.
If you’re hosting a playoff party, this cocktail can be doubled, tripled, etc. and made in advance. Chill in the fridge, put the glasses in the freezer, and enjoy. Then — in the words of Aaron Rodgers — relax.
Cosmo-Shrubitan Spiker's Shrubs
- 2 ounces Vodka choose a medium to high quality brand to let the quality of the spirit take center stage
- 1/2 ounce Spiker's Tuscan Tangerine Shrub or Cointreau (more authentic than Triple Sec)
- 3/4 ounce Spiker's Cranberry Orange Shrub
- 1/2 to 1/2 ounce Lime juice freshly squeeze (not from concentrate or bottled)
- 1 twist orange or tangerine peel
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice then add vodka, shrubs, and lime juice. (Use the lower amount specified if you don't like an extra tangy beverage.)
- Shake the cocktail shaker for about 30 seconds.
- Strain into a martini glass. (Feel free to chill the glass in the freezer ahead of time.)
- Twist the orange peel directly over the glass. In true Cosmo style, don't drop the peel in the glass; just balance it on the edge, with or without the aid of an elegant toothpick.