When the weather turns dark and stormy, this drink is the ideal companion. Dark rum combined with a spritzy, high-octane ginger fizz and a splash of lime warms you up and quenches your thirst at the same time.
Although standard recipes call for ginger beer, it’s not always easy to find a brand with enough of a kick. That’s why Spiker’s Ginger Bite shrub is the perfect stand-in. You can add as much or little of it as you like to get just the right amount of ginger power without diluting the beverage overall.
Start with two ounces of dark rum, and vary the amount of “fizz” based on your personal tastes: anywhere from three to five ounces is a good target.
Dark and Stormy
- 2 ounces dark rum
- 3 ounces seltzer or your own Soda Stream carbonated water
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce Spiker's Ginger Bite Shrub
- In a highball glass filled with ice, add the rum, lime juice, and Spiker's Ginger Bite shrub. Swirl together a few times (or use a swizzle stick or bar spoon).
- Slowly add the seltzer or carbonated water. Swirl or stir gently with a bar spoon. (Add more seltzer if a lighter cocktail is preferred.) Garnish with a lime wedge.