Looking for a new way to dress up a classic fish taco? Try this zippy slaw which marries Spiker’s Chile Lime shrub with a creamy hummus-mayo dressing. The colors are bright and beautiful, the textures are creamy and crunchy. The perfect combination!
Fish Tacos with Chile Lime Hummus Slaw
- 2 tbsp Spiker's Chile Lime shrub
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 pound cod, haddock, or tilapia filets cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 tsp chile powder
- 4 to 6 flour tortillas taco size
- 1/4 cup queso fresco for garnish
- 1 avocado (optional) for garnish
- 1 radish (optional) thinly sliced
- Mix all of the slaw ingredients together and set aside. (Tastes best if you give it at least an hour for flavors to develop.)
- Sprinkle the fish pieces with the chile powder.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet and turn the temperature to medium-high. Add the fish pieces and pan-sear until golden on all sides and cooked through, about 5 minutes total.
- Spoon the slaw into a warm taco and top with fish. Add a sprinkling of crumbled queso fresco.