If you love the herbaceous, piney flavor of a premium gin but want to avoid the alcohol, give this “virgin” version a try. Spiker’s Juniper Bay Shrub is made from many of the same ingredients used in gin — including grains of paradise, cubeb pepper, bay leaf, and citrus peel — so you will be able to enjoy the fragrance and taste of gin in each sip, with one important difference: No gin, no sin!
Be sure to use only premium tonic water in this recipe. Standard brands are too sweet and flavorless.
Juniper Shrub and Tonic mocktail
- 1-2 tablespoons Spiker's Juniper Bay Shrub
- 4 ounces premium tonic water such as Q or Fever Tree, chilled
- 2 dashes Scrappy's lavender bitters or 1/4 tsp. Spiker's French Lavender Shrub
- 1 wedge fresh lime
- Place 2-3 ice cubes in a rocks glass. If you have time, chill the glass in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
- Slowly pour the tonic water down the inside edge of the glass to help maintain the bubbles. Squeeze the lime wedge and drizzle the Spiker's Juniper Bay Shrub into the glass. Add 2-3 dashes of lavender bitters (or Spiker's French Lavender Shrub) and stir with a bar spoon or swizzle stick.
- Garnish the glass with a fresh lime wedge and enjoy.