August is steaming up, and my plan for keeping cool is to put a bunch of glasses in the freezer to get frosty, and then whip up a pitcher of white tea infused with rosemary, brightened with a splash of Spiker’s Roasted Cinnamon Apple shrub, chilled cucumber juice, sliced peaches, and a bit of mineral water.
You don’t need a juicer to prepare the cucumber; a blender or food processor works just as well. (For those of you who want to spike this beverage with a spirit, try a bit of gin.)
Mocktail Monday: Apple-Peach Cooler
- 4 tablespoons Spiker's Roasted Cinnamon Apple Shrub
- 2 organic white tea bags or equivalent loose tea
- 2 cups water
- 6 medium cucumbers, peeled preferably English
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary coarsely chopped
- 1 medium peach sliced
- 1/4 cup sparkling mineral water chilled
- Rinse several rocks glasses in cool water and place in the freezer at least 30 minutes to chill.
- Bring water to boil, remove from heat and add the white tea and chopped rosemary. Infuse for 3 minutes. Strain the tea and discard the rosemary. Set aside to cool.
- Cut the peeled cucumbers lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Discard the seeds, and chop cucumbers coarsely. Placed in a food processor or blender and pulse until you have a puree. Place a fine-mesh sieve over a bowl or pitcher and pour the processed cucumber. Let as much juice as possible strain through on its own, then use the back of a spoon to gently press extra juice out of the mash. (If you prefer a juice that isn't pulpy, line the strainer with a dampened coffee filter or piece of muslin.)
- Slice the apple in half, starting at the widest point (not from the stem to blossom). Cut 4 very thin slices and carefully remove the core and seeds. (Save the rest of the apple for a salad. To prevent the flesh from browning, mix one tablespoon each lemon juice and water in a small bowl and dip the apple in for several seconds so the cut surfaces are covered. Remove and store in a plastic bag.)
- Pour the cooled tea into the cucumber juice, add the shrub and sliced apples, and chill well.
- To serve, pour about 1 cup of the chilled cucumber/tea mixture into a chilled, frosty rocks glass. Top with one apple slice (or cut in half or slivers if you prefer). Add about 1/4 cup chilled sparkling mineral water or seltzer. If desired, garnish with a sprig of rosemary, or a sliced cucumber.