We just heard from representatives of the Monday Anti-Defamation (MAD) League; they’re upset that we’re giving the first day of the work week a bad rat — er, rap — by promoting the consumption of mocktails.
Hey, it’s not our fault that Monday is looked upon with dread. Or that it’s the day of the week you can’t have any fun.
Fact is, you can have plenty of fun on Mocktail Monday. Especially when you have a mocktail made with Spiker’s Shrubs. Without the fuzzy head, you can probably drive farther (and safer), stay awake longer (visit friends, watch a movie, fold your laundry). Plus, you can transfer the unspent alcohol calories on something like a take-out rotisserie chicken, or a veggie pizza (feel good about the veggies, feel bad about the cheese). Or chocolate truffles. Yum.
So hop on the wagon (or off the wagon, or whatever) and embrace Mocktail Monday with this week’s recipe. We’re tipping our hat to the Boomtown Rats for creating a song that has immortalized Mondays (although they were singing about the school week rather than work; somewhere out there in space, we’re still in 11th grade).
Mocktail Monday: Boomtown Rat-a-tat
- 1 tsp loose leaf tea or 1 tea bag
- 1 1-inch long fresh rosemary sprig or 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 ounce Spiker's Roasted Cinnamon Apple Shrub
- 1/2 ounce Spiker's Ginger Bite Shrub
- 1 teaspoon apricot jam or marmalade
- 4 ounces chilled seltzer or mineral water
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 1 slice lemon for garnish
- Bring 1/2 cup water to boil. Remove from heat and add tea bag and rosemary. Steep for 5 minutes and strain.
- When tea is cool, place both shrubs, and jam/marmalade in tall glass or shaker and muddle until marmalade is dissolved.
- Add ice and cool tea. Shake 5-7 times to chill.
- Pour seltzer into a rocks glass, and gently strain the contents of the mixing container into the glass. Garnish with lemon slice.