A beautiful composed salad featuring a tangy vinaigrette made with Spiker’s Roasted Cinnamon Apple or Sour Cherry Plum shrub.
Note: Feel free to substitute any of our shrub flavors for equally delicious results. And if you can’t find fresh pomegranates, many stores carry the arils (seeds) in their salad section. Diced apricots make a nice substitution for the arils.
Pomegranate and Avocado Salad with Shrub Vinaigrette
- 1 bag arugula or spring mix salad greens
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup toasted walnuts or pecans
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Spiker's Roasted Cinnamon Apple or Sour Cherry Plum Shrub
- pinch black pepper freshly ground
- pinch flake sea salt
- 2 fresh pomegranates or 1 bag of pomegranate arils
- 2 avocados
- 1 pint fresh blackberries optional
- 8 to 10 cherry tomatoes halved
- Wash and dry the greens. Set aside.
- Pan-toast the nuts:Heat a cast-iron skillet to medium hot and add a drizzle of olive oil. Add the nuts and toast until golden (about 5 minutes), stirring constantly to prevent burning. Scoop nuts onto paper towel to cool.
- Make the vinaigrette:Mix the olive oil, black peppercorns, and Cranberry Orange shrub until well emulsified.
- Cut a cone-shaped chunk out of the top of the pomegranate and set aside. Cut a small slice from the bottom of the pomegrante to create a base that will prevent the fruit from wobbling. Cone-side up, use a sharp paring knife to score the pomegranate skin following the ridges that run north-to-south all around the fruit. Then, using both hands, pull the fruit apart and separate the arils by gently scooping them into a bowl. (This video shows the technique we use.) [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iHbSzM63Hs&w=480&h=360]
- Peel the avocados and cut into thin slices.
- Plating: Place the salad greens on a decorative serving platter and arrange the sliced avocados on top. Scatter fresh blackberries on top, followed by the tomatoes, nuts, and pomegranate arils. Spoon the vinaigrette over all and provide a cellar of flake sea salt at table-side for individual seasoning to taste. Use an additional splash of Cranberry Orange shrub for an extra pop of flavor.