In honor of this Sunday’s Love, Shirley Temple exhibit at the historic Wenham Museum, Spiker’s has teamed up with Vena’s Fizz House in Portland, ME, to craft an uptown version of the classic Shirley Temple mocktail.
The traditional recipe which combines generic grenadine with ginger ale is a snore, and we wanted to serve up a twist that’s refreshing and complex. Innocent, but also saucy/sassy. Kind of like little Shirley herself.
Here are our change-ups:
For starters, ditch the dreadful Red Dye #2 phony maraschino cherry and replace with Spiker’s Sour Cherry Plum shrub. It contributes the natural flavor of authentic tart red cherry pies and turnovers. And because it isn’t super-sweet, it balances out the drink just as you’d hope.
Next, seek out the best grenadine you can find. Liber & Co. makes a top-shelf version worth investing in.
In place of ginger ale, use Spiker’s Ginger Bite shrub plus mineral water or seltzer.
And finally, a few dashes of Jamaican Ginger bitters, Smoky Habanero Pepper Extract Bitters, and ghost pepper extract add the magic touch to bring depth and intrigue to your mocktail. “It’s all in the bitters,” Corman advises. He uses a similar combination for his Dark and Stormies, which people say are the best they’ve ever tasted.
Serve your Shirley Temple in a tall glass with ice and enjoy. And then, as America’s Little Darling might have said after a sip, feel free to say, “Oh – my – goodness!”
Shirley Temple gets a mocktail make-over
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger peeled
- 2 fresh mint leaves plus extra for garnish
- 1 oz Spiker's Ginger Bite Shrub
- 1 ounce Spiker's Sour Cherry Plum Shrub
- 1/2 ounce Liber & Co. Grenadine or additional 0.25oz Spikers Sour Cherry Plum Shrub
- 1 drop each Jamaican Ginger Bitters, Smoky Habanero Pepper Extract Bitters, and ghost pepper extract.
- 5 ounces your fizziest soda/seltzer
- 1 slices lime or lemon
- In a tall glass, place the mint leaf and ginger and muddle slightly.
- In a cocktail shaker or small pitcher, combine the Ginger Bite and Sour Cherry Plum shrub, grenadine, and bitters. Add ice and shake/stir vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Pour into the prepared glass and top off with seltzer. Stir gently to combine.
- Garnish with a slice of lime or lemon, and a mint sprig.