To celebrate our new relationship with Siena Farms of Sudbury MA, we have created a cocktail in its honor: the Siena Spritzer. It’s a lovely pre-dinner cocktail (or something to sip solo while you’re slaving away in a hot kitchen before your friends/family/guests arrive).
Because the “other” Siena is located in the heart of Tuscany, we chose a semi-sweet (semi-dry?) Italian Bianco vermouth as the base for the drink. This style of vermouth is clear (not amber), and has an herbaceous nose, warm spices, and mild bitterness tempered with a bright, crisp citrus finish.
Spiker’s Ginger Bite Shrub brings a bracing snap to the vermouth, and frosty-cold premium tonic water provides spritz as well as a nuance of sweetness and quinine which highlights the botanical elements in the vermouth. Speaking of sweetness, please do not use generic or mass-produced tonic water in this drink. It is way too sweet and heavy. We recommend Q or Fever Tree tonic water, which has great bubbles and an herbal element which brings out the best in all the other ingredients.
A thin sliver of lemon in the base of the glass is all you need to create eye appeal, and an extra burst of fresh citrus for the perfect finishing touch.
Look for Ginger Bite Shrub and our other shrubs for cocktails and creative cuisine at Siena Farms at The Boston Public Market, and Siena Farms South End on Waltham Street in Boston.
- 2 ounces Bianco semi-dry vermouth such as Carbano or Allessio
- 1/2 ounce Spiker's Ginger Bite Shrub
- 2-3 ounces chilled premium tonic water Fever Tree or Q
- 2-3 ice cubes
- 1 thin slice of lemon
- Place 1 thin slice of lemon in a rocks glass or other short cocktail glass and muddle slightly. Add the vermouth and the Ginger Bite Shrub and stir.
- Add 2-3 ice cubes to the glass, and slowly pour 2-3 ounces of premium tonic water. Swirl with a bar spool or swizzle and enjoy.