The classic Manhattan is making a comeback. To honor this revival of a truly American spirit, we suggest a pairing with Spiker’s unique Sour Cherry Plum Shrub.
Our deep and rich Sour Cherry Plum Shrub infusion — made from tart red cherries and a hint of dark purple plums — provides the perfect balance to the aged fruitwood notes of a premium whiskey. It also provides flavor notes more akin to a true maraschino cherry, which is the traditional garnish. (By the way, if you aren’t using real, naturally-infused maraschino cherries, skip the day-glow variety and instead use a twist of lemon.)
For a change-up, make a Boston Manhattan: by replacing the bourbon with Irish whiskey such as Grand Ten Distilling’s South Boston Irish Whiskey.
Spiker's Sour Cherry Manhattan
- 2 ounces Bully Boy Straight American Whiskey locally made craft spirit
- 1/2 ounce Spiker's Sour Cherry Plum Shrub or to taste
- 1/2 ounce Sweet Vermouth
- Dash Orange bitters we recommend Hella or Fee brothers
- 1 slice lemon peel peel only; no white pith
- About 30 minutes before serving, place a 5-6 ounce rocks glass in the freezer to chill.
- At serving time, measure the whiskey, shrub, vermouth and bitters into a 16-20 ounce glass or cocktail shaker.
- Add 3-4 coarsely cracked ice cubes. (Cup the ice cube in the palm of your hand, and whack it firmly with the convex -- outwardly curved -- portion of a large serving spoon.)
- Stir the drink gently in a consistent, circular motion for about 40-50 rotations. This will chill the beverage with a minimal amount of ice-melt.
- Remove the rocks glass from the freezer and gently strain the drink into the glass. Garnish with one natural maraschino cherry, or a twist of lemon. (Twist the lemon over the glass, then drop it in the glass or toss it.)