No fancy chef skills required here. Just grate or shred fresh carrots, then toss with a dressing featuring the delightful tang of our Ginger Bite Shrub paired with olive oil, cider vinegar, celery seeds, salt, pepper, and minced garlic. At serving time, add a generous sprinkle of chopped sunflower and sesame seeds to provide a delightful crunch.
NOTE: This slaw tastes even better the day after. Don’t limit it to a side dish, either. Slap this onto a bun with some pulled pork barbecue and you will be in heaven.
Carrot Slaw with Sweet-tart Shrub Dressing
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp Spiker's Ginger Bite Shrub or Roasted Cinnamon Apple
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1/4 tsp celery seeds
- 1 pound carrots grated
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- In a jar, small bowl or food processor, mix together the olive oil, Spiker's Shrub, vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic, and celery seeds.
- Using the medium side of a grater or other tool, grate the carrots and then move them into a medium-size bowl. Toss with the shrub dressing. Cover and place in refrigerator.
- While the carrots are chilling, heat a cast iron skillet over medium temperature for about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup sunflower seeds and stir constantly until they turn golden. Turn onto a paper towel to cool. Repeat with the sesame seeds. (Careful...they burn quickly!)
- When ready to serve, taste the carrot mixture and add extra salt, pepper, and/or a splash of shrub if desired. Sprinkle the seeds over the salad and toss. Place extra sunflower seeds in a serving bowl to pass at the table if more crunch is desired.