A traditional Tequila Sunrise gets its color from grenadine, which is a pomegranate-based liqueur. We aren’t all that crazy about grenadine (even the homemade kind), and prefer the softer but more interesting tart flavor notes of Spiker’s Sour Cherry Plum Shrub. For an extra touch of fresh, tangy citrus, we have also added a splash of our Crangerine shrub (available November through March). Together, these ingredients create a sunny beverage with just the right balance of acid to keep it refreshing rather than sweetly cloying.
- 1 1/2 ounces Tequila
- 1/2 cup orange juice freshly squeeze
- 1/2 ounce Spiker's Sour Cherry Plum shrub
- 1/2 ounce Spiker's Crangerine shrub
- ice cubes
- 1 slice orange for garnish
- Fill a tall (12-ounce) beverage glass with ice cubes.
- In a shaker or separate container, mix the tequila, orange juice, and Tuscan Tangerine shrub. Then pour over the ice in the glass.
- Tilt the glass slightly and slowly pour the Sour Cherry Plum (or Cranberry Orange) Shrub along the inside edge. Return the glass to the straight position and allow the shrub to settle or swirl its way through the glass.
- Garnish with an orange slice and a long spoon or swizzle stick for stirring. Straw optional.